Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Visiting Graves

I was talking to someone today who was telling me about a colorful individual (and his wife) from years gone by. Someone in my town. No one I personally knew but I've heard the name a few times in conversations.

So I said, "Is he buried around here?" And she told me where he was buried and just the sketchiest details of how to get there.

Later then I was in the area of the cemetery and decided to buzz in and see if I could see his grave. Driving slowly, looking, without getting out at this point. Don't see it... Then later, somewhere else in the cemetery, I wanted to get out and check out this other person's grave, and finally, larger than life was a big tombstone with the last name of the guy I was originally looking for.

It didn't do me much good, though, because it was just the last name, both sides of the tombstone. And I glanced around and didn't see any individual tombstones that would match up with the family in question. So I don't know where my person is buried precisely.

But someday, someday, I'll take the time and scout it out. I don't know why I want to see his grave exactly. Maybe it's just when I hear of someone colorful like that, it's a kind of personal connection to at least stand there where their remains are for a few minutes.