Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day! I myself never had the honor to serve -- with my game toe -- but I had several uncles in the various wars and my Grandpa was in World War ought I. Some of the uncles were in World War ought II. They were part of the Greatest Generation, but I don't think they knew it till Tom Brokaw told them, and they were dead before that.

Anyway, I have the freedoms I have today ... to post this blog with fear of reprisals from the Communists and Nazis ... because of my family members.

A couple of my uncles were pilots in Vietnam, and one of them was involved in that whole refueling in the air routine, with the big pipe going from one plane to another. There were always real spiffy photos of the uncles on the shelves at Grandma's.

As for Grandpa, I don't remember him saying word one about his service in World War ought I. So I have no idea what he did, except I guess he was overseas. There's a picture of him standing there in his uniform with a fake tent backdrop behind him. I have a copy of the picture. I keep thinking, good thing he didn't take lead in the groin or I wouldn't be here today.

Now that I think of it, why would they send my Grandpa overseas to war? Anything might've happened to him and I wouldn't be here today. If ever I heard of a reason to stop sending men to war, that's it!