Monday, July 14, 2008

Full of G-nats

I went for a dog walk in the park tonight, and the park was full of g-nats. I'm adding a G there because that was our conversation. You hear of people dropping their g's, but gnat has an added g even though it's silent.

I walked into at least one cloud of g-nats, which makes your hands do this Kali swatting. It's crazy. They're like a swarm, buzzing in many directions yet maintaining a sort of pulsating ball. When you walk into it, you might expect them to buzz up an extra three feet, but no.

So you're walking into their tightly knit ball, then they're running headlong into your head. It seems like this would disrupt whatever harmony exists in their buzzing and loose adherence to the swarm. Whether they're able to go back to their orbits and courses, only God and scientists know.

The other bit of interesting buggery was all the lightning bugs, blinking out some kind of mating code. "I'm here, my butt's yellow, I'm ready, my dear." Could it be nothing but a mating call? Or are they indicating their presence for some other purpose? None that's discernible to the casual onlooker.

Then apart from the lightning bugs -- obvious as they are -- and the clouds of g-nats -- obvious also, once you're in their epicenter -- there are the random zaps to the head or the ear of some extraneous bug dwelling apart from the pack, or flying in a more subtle pack, perhaps like geese, in a V. Whap, one hits my head and you swat at nothing.