Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My Cell Phone Drowned

I'm very careful with keeping water, coffee, liquids out of electronics. I remember when keyboards were new and expensive, the place I worked they were strict about not getting your coffee near the keyboard.

When it comes to my phone, I'm very careful as well. But since you're expected to carry it around all the time -- through many bumps and travails -- all kinds of things can happen to it. It's there, then it isn't because you've forgotten it somewhere.

One day in the winter I had gone somewhere and returned to the place we were staying. And a couple hours later I went to check my phone and it wasn't there. So I retraced my steps, which led to the car, and guess what -- the phone was lying in the middle of the street! It was a cul-de-sac and has little traffic, and there was a car right across from my car, so any car that happened through there would've had to straddle my phone. It was winter, as I said, and cold, so for a while that day my phone was very sluggish. But it recovered.

Then the other day I went to get a pizza. I called the pizza place a few minutes before I got there to order. And I thought I put the phone on the seat, but maybe I put it on my lap. Just before I got there it took off with a huge downpour, raining. So when I got to the pizza place, I jumped out of the car and went running in. I'm standing in there and felt down for my phone and it wasn't there, so I thought it was on the car seat. When I got the pizza, 10 minutes or so later, I went running back to the car in the torrential rain, and there was my phone, lying in a puddle, getting soaked to the bone.

I picked it up of course, but it never worked from that point on. I dried it out, took it apart, etc., but nothing could bring it back from the dead. So I had to go get a new one.

They're so hard to keep track of entirely. It's a regular job to keep a cell phone from getting lost or destroyed.