Monday, June 08, 2009

An Old Defective Album

I ran across this album at a thrift store, still sealed. I was hoping it would have some "Party Song" lyrics like some of the other records I've had. Semi-racy stuff with lots of double entendres.

It didn't look overly promising in that regard, just going by the titles, such as "I Love You Waltz," "Old Grey Mare Polka," "Astronaut Polka," and "Turkey In The Straw," among others.

The only thing that suggested possibly some oo-la-la was the picture of the lady and the caption, "If I had my way, I would ? all day." With a question mark in there like that. But the caption relates to the first song, the "I Love You Waltz," in which they say "I love you" in various languages, English, Russian, and Polish.

You can see it's by Norm Dombrowski and the Happy Notes. Norm, the leader of the group, was also the drummer. They also had Ronald Gruna, trumpet and bass guitar; Irvin Kovalski, trumpet and guitar; John Hobson, bass guitar; Dave Wanta, concertina and guitar; and Bob Organiscak, sax and clarinet.

It's polka style music. I've only listened to the first couple of songs.

OK, I said this album was sealed, which is true. But when I opened it, it was defective. A little crumb of something stuck on the record and intrinsically part of the vinyl, either as it originally was or it's eaten in there after all these years. It might, might play through that section. I don't know.

It's something, though -- this album's been in someone's collection all these years, unopened, then ends up in a thrift store, and all these years it's had a secret flaw. Its imperfection -- its original sin -- has been exposed!

The record was put out by Gold Records, Stevens Point, Wisconsin.