Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Trial

I'm rereading "The Trial" by Franz Kafka. It's been a couple years or more. This time I'm not trying to "figure it out" but just accept it as the conditions stated.

Also I'm reading it very much as a piece of humor, and there are some wonderfully funny things ... as I recall ... and as I have already well noted in reading the first few chapters today. (I don't want to accrue any guilt in saying that, so technically I read the first few chapters a little bit last night and the rest today.)

The part where K. is supposedly looking for a carpenter named Lanz, while actually looking for the place where his appointment with the inquiry is supposed to be, is hilarious. The people of the apartment building are so helpful, thinking they remember a carpenter named Lanz, etc.

I was watching the movie by Orson Welles. I think I've only made it through the entire thing once. The rest of the times I start watching it, get a certain distance, then something else comes up and I quit. The same thing is going to happen in a few minutes, because I got the new Three Stooges DVD set and want to watch some of it.

Plus, as good as the Welles' scenery and staging is, I hate having the imagery from it too fresh in my mind when reading the book. It's unavoidable at this point ... but I don't want to do anything more to encourage it happening.

Good night all. May you not wake up to officers in your room there to arrest you!