Thursday, June 04, 2009

Conan

I don't watch much late night TV since I go to bed at 9:30. I get up at 5:30, so if I get to sleep right away, which happens much of the time, that's close to eight hours a night. I found that I need about that much sleep to be semi well-adjusted during the day.

Now that I'm an early to bed guy, that means I don't get to see all the stuff I used to like to watch, like the Daily Show and Colbert. Fortunately I can see bits of those shows online. I barely ever watched Jay Leno or David Letterman, at least in the last 10 years, and certainly couldn't stay awake for Conan after that. I used to ages ago. (How come no one ever mentions The Gaseous Wiener, one of my favorite characters from Conan's show?)

Now that Conan is on the Tonight Show, this week being the first, I've watched the first three episodes on Hulu. They're pretty funny. I liked the "Tweets of the Week" stuff, with a very over the top gruff guy reading mundane Tweets from celebrities. I didn't like the "In the Year 3000" bit even though I used to like the "2000" routine from years ago. So I skipped through that.

As for Andy Richter, it'd be better if he was over on the couch. And Max Weinberg looks great. I remember in 1993 when Conan came on being amused that his bandleader was a drummer.