Thursday, April 08, 2010

Jamaica Inn

I watched the Alfred Hitchcock film "Jamaica Inn." I see it gets mostly poor reviews all around.

I didn't think it was so terrible. I had a hard time understanding the dialogue much of the time, with the heavier accent, especially with Charles Laughton's character. But that's about it.

I couldn't figure out why Maureen O'Hara's character went back to Jamaica Inn when she had escaped with the guy she saved. That didn't make sense to me.

It started off very exciting, with the ship being tossed in the sea, then the cutthroats doing their thing on the survivors. That's why they call them cutthroats.

As for Charles Laughton, his character was fairly disgusting. Plus I don't think I've ever seen anyone whose eyebrows were so far up his head, except Cap'n Crunch comes to mind. That was very distracting.

It was good to finally see all the soldiers clean up the mess and get it straightened out.

It was anticlimactic when Pengallon jumped off the top of the boat. Who really cared at that point? I would've shot him through the head and spared him the trouble. Why they didn't just shoot him, I don't know.

Among the outlaws, I liked Harry the best, in a scruffy top hat, looking great in his filthy suit. He reminded me of Adam Lambert, a very attractive guy.