Friday, November 06, 2009

Online Clip Art

I still don't know the rules about using online clip art.

I've been doing graphics for one of my blog. And looking up pictures at Google images to use in collages is of course a great way to find things.

But then what? Is it legal and permissible to just use elements of stuff you find around the internet? I don't think it is. I see there's some clip art places that, even though it seems to be "free," I think they still expect some kind of credit or whatever.

And some of them have a little identifier in the middle of the picture, like they're trying to discourage you from using it.

I was looking for pictures of a "junkyard dog" and found some great clip art for that theme. But some of them I was reluctant to use because of these possible restrictions.

But one thing to say about it. It looks like clip art has come a long way since 8-10 years ago, when all you'd get were links to clip art places that themselves were links to clip art places. You followed the links till you were back at the first place and you never actually saw any clip art!

I'm serious about that. Back then clip art was tough to find.