Saturday, October 24, 2009

Laughing Uproariously

We were out to eat today and had one of most moments where something was funny -- so outrageously funny that we both were laughing uproariously, with tears in our eyes.

Except I have some control over this, so I was trying to tamp it down, so that she wouldn't create too much of a scene. It's fairly easy to keep someone laughing uncontrollably once they've embarked on it. But I wasn't taking those opportunities, because the ones around might've thought she was crying and in pain. And there I would be sitting, the mad abuser or something.

What was so funny doesn't sound funny when you tell it to someone else outside the context, of course. But I was still laughing about it an hour later when we left the restaurant.

Here's what it was. There's a display there of two turtles in succession. One's in front, one's in back. And I said, "What's the second turtle saying?" She said, "Don't fart." And I said, "Right, that's the answer." Then I added, in a turtle voice, "Keep a shell on it."

It still seems funny to me ... but I'm not quaking with tears in my eyes at this point.