Friday, October 23, 2009

A Romance Of Two Worlds

I'm reading an old book, "A Romance of Two Worlds," by Marie Corelli. It was published in the 1880s.

I was at a rummage sale and it was there. I passed it by the first day, even though it was only a quarter. It looked like a million other crappy old novels from the turn of the century, so I let it set there.

I was back the next day and decided to look through it. It seemed remarkably different on the pages I was sampling. It seemed like it had a religious, spiritual, even mystical bent to it. So I considered it a quarter well spent, and still do.

I'll write more about it when I get it read. I'm up around page 220 and it's a good read. It's old fashioned in lots of ways, of course, but still has an interesting theme and works it out in a memorable way.

There's a guy who seems to have super scientific/mystical powers, because he's tapped into the electricity within the inner person. He's come up with liquids that help induce mental or soul travel in the heavens and to Heaven itself. Naturally these experiences impact the lives of those who make the journey. Plus with regular attention to developing their inner electricity, they continue to prosper here on earth.

I just wanted to mention a few flaky things about it, though, tonight.

In the main character (the narrator's) journey through the heavens, she's briefly on a few of the planets in our solar system that are inhabited by happy people who don't have problems and don't doubt -- not one of them -- the Creator's existence. The planets include Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn. The rings of Saturn are some kind of electrical field that helps them have happiness. (Electricity is a force for great spiritual book in the book.)

The other flaky thing -- that I can think of -- is where the scientist (Heliobas) explains that the moon isn't really there in space. That it's an "electrograph," a kind of lingering electrical picture up there that we're looking at. It used to be there, but now it's not. I don't know why Corelli would've included something flaky like that. Or to say that the sun was a planet at one time where the people have now gone into its center. Hmm.

The book is very good though in other ways, at least I'm finding it interesting enough to keep reading it!