Saturday, December 19, 2009

Andre Rieu -- The Vienna I Love

The video I'm referring to in this post is a VHS tape of a program called "The Vienna I Love -- Waltzes From My Heart," by Andre Rieu and the Johann Strauss Orchestra. It doesn't look like it's still available, but looking around, I notice there are lots of programs by Rieu on DVD. Wow, I wouldn't mind having the Christmas one.

But, alas, this VHS tape is the only one I have. And I just about gave it away to the thrift store yesterday to get it out of my way. It's been on my shelf for a few years and I never watched it. Then yesterday, cleaning my room, I was putting some stuff in a box for the thrift store and this was tossed over there. But then, just for some entertainment while I cleaned, I put it in the TV (which has a player) and it was very cool to see.

I guess I didn't know anything about Andre Rieu, just that he had something to do with music, since the tape's been around for a while. I hadn't really look at it that closely.

Anyway, it's quite wonderful. A bunch of waltzes, classical music. With a full orchestra, dressed up in really nice clothes and everything. And they had a packed house. Wherever it was, actually Vienna it looks like.

Andre plays the violin. I read somewhere that he plays a 1667 Stradivarius violin. I don't know if that's what he's playing in this concert, since I don't know my violins. It's definitely pretty and doesn't look over 300 years old.

As to the music, it's delightful stuff. Played with a lot of flair, with Andre right out front, standing the whole time. He's kind of like the conductor but he's not doing a lot of typical conducting. He must conduct while moving his bow on the violin. And maybe the players were used to his style.

On this tape there's a lot of humor, the introductions Andre makes to songs, plus some funny interplay of the musicians. He speaks in German throughout but there are subtitles in English.

This particular tape was copyright 1995.

In watching it, I'm up to the 11th selection, which is the "Emperor's Waltz." Johann Strauss wasn't the composer of everything on the tape, but several of the selections.

I wish I had the Christmas DVD ... but in a few days, after Christmas, I won't be wishing that anymore.

The short story here is that I'm glad I didn't give this tape to the thrift store. Because it's enjoyable and I would guess I'll watch it again someday!

(The DVD on the Amazon.com ad is a different program than what I wrote about. But it looks like it'd be something very similar.)