Friday, December 04, 2009

The Novelty's Just About Worn Off

It's day 2 of having my new computer. I messed with it most of the day, which turned out to be a mixture of good and bad, with lots of frustration.

I'm frustrated that more of my old software won't work on Windows 7. There seems to be something seriously wrong with not having this stuff backwards compatible. I'm used to doing lots of projects in particular ways, and now to have to change in my old age, it's not nice.

My scanner won't work, that's another thing. Things I do for my work, no good. I'll have to keep my XP computers forever, and if they ever threaten to die, I'll keep them on life support till long after they're brain dead. Some of this Microsoft stuff starts out brain dead, though, so it might not be that big a change.

There's a couple things that irk me. I thought maybe this computer would have the XP mode I heard about. But that's only for Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL, not Home. That was easy for me to say, right? But that's not how they tell you at Microsoft. You have to load a piece of software that tells you it's not compatible because you haven't changed the settings in your BIOS. So you go to all the trouble to make that change, then go back, and it tells you what they could've told you in the first place, that you don't have PROFESSIONAL, so what are you doing here?

The other irksome thing are all the Norton pop-ups and HP pop-ups about this, that, or the other. Yes, I know you're there. How about doing your job in the background and giving me a monthly summary?

I have a tension backache after today. Meaning it's time to quit. I'm just going to do a few blogs and then read for a while, then my usual tasks (dishes, etc.)