Wednesday, February 18, 2009

American Idol

For the most part, I'd say obscurity is better than notoriety.

I really think I'd rather be an obscure hotel singer with a steady job that to be someone who went on American Idol and bombed out first thing.

The way they have the format this year, bombing out first thing is what's going to happen if you just happen not to be that great. The TV doesn't obscure the facts; it accentuates them.

Then you have blog after blog rating you on the disaster of it all. It has to about be too much for a young person, 21-26, who thinks he or she is really something.

The ones performing last night, with few exceptions, were pretty bad. I wondered if they would be, because the first one, Ms. Tohn, didn't seem bad to me. Then the guy following her, Mr. Braddy, wasn't terrible, just boring looking. Then the next singer, Alexis Grace, I thought blew it away in a great job. After that it was smooth sailing downhill, except for a couple of exceptions or half exceptions.

Tatiana wasn't herself, the herself we've come to know. Danny Gokey did good.