Saturday, February 07, 2009

My Blowing Garbage Can

The garbage went out a few days ago. The garbage guys, as would be expected, left behind the garbage can. Then a little wind came up and tipped it over. Then it was rolling back and forth.

I thought today, go over and fetch it. But the dog was there and there were puddles and mudspots in between. To have her hip deep in mudspots and drenched from puddles would make more of a mess to clean up, not less. So I postponed it.

Tonight then the garbage can had rolled to the exact middle spot of the driveway and at the edge of the street. Getting out of the car, a pedestrian just happened to be coming along. I stopped and got out and the guy went to help me get the garbage can. I'm saying, 'No, don't, I'll get it. It stinks,' but he fetched it anyway and we shared that single moment. 'Thanks.'

I offered him a ride, in so many words, without really saying it, but he was just going "around the corner."

I've seen the guy somewhere before, and not just from the neighborhood. But I can't think of where. Chance meetings are interesting to me.