Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ephemera

In my quest to digitize my life, to photo or scan the various personal documents I have around the house -- including old class notes and all kinds of stuff -- I went through several boxes in the basement this evening.

There's some real ephemeral stuff in there, including Post-It notes with phone numbers of people we don't even see anymore, from other towns we've lived, cassette tapes of stuff, a few video tapes, and a lot of old bills. We of course keep our bills around in case we're going to need them. But not as long these days as we used to, since we pay everything online.

Some of the old bills, bank statements, etc., were from 1992-1993, in there. They're down by a place where the pipe had leaked one time, till the plumbers fixed it, so they're a little musty and a few things were stuck together. Those I'm not digitizing! Those are being shredded.

It's a blast from the past to see some of this old stuff. But not such a blast that I'd wish it were endless.