Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Old Comic Strips

There's something about old comic strips, interesting, how ephemeral they are. You read one and immediately forget it.

I ran across an old article from a newspaper today, and on the back was part of the comics page. So I flipped it over and read the two that were complete. Only one I still remember. These were from 1991. So they're out there on microfilm, probably at the newspaper archive website. But for the most part, no one cares -- and no one will ever care -- about them.

In this particular episode of "The Born Loser," the born loser is in an elevator with two other guys. One says something like, "Would you give $100 for a $20,000 watch?" And the born loser says he'd like to see it. And the guy says it's on this other guy's wrist. So he's a thief. I thought that was funny. But I've tossed it out ... so it's once again exiled to obscurity.