Wednesday, April 01, 2009

One Take Away One

I saw some kids working out some arithmetic problems on the chalkboard the other day. They were formulating them and then putting the answers. I can remember a couple of them. One was 9 x 1 = 9. Another was 2 x 2 = 4. And they had some bigger numbers too, including perhaps some hundreds. It's great practice for when they're at school and they whip out these problems on you.

I've been digitizing some of my old papers -- class notes, term papers, priceless stuff like that. I brought some files of this stuff up from the basement, and I've done around 1,500 pages. My desire to do it comes and goes. But when it's here, I try to get something done, because I know it will disappear again. It's the spring cleaning bug.

So I look at the files -- ugh -- and photograph each page and think I'm taking away one page each one that's done. 40 minus 1, etc., all the way down to none. If I ever live to see "none," who knows? The bug can't last that long.