Monday, April 06, 2009

The Smells Of Life

Someone I know today said he thought there was "a hot smell" in the men's bathroom of a place.

This is going to be unpleasant, I would expect, because it means I need to go into the men's bathroom and start sniffing. There's hardly anything in the men's bathroom that could be on fire, but if there is, I'm fully prepared to put it out anyway I can. Fully prepared.

So I went in, and I'm sniffing. I've recently had some nose problems, smelling things that other people can't smell, etc., so I'm already dubious going in that I'm going to be able to identify it. But I can smell something right away, but it doesn't smell hot or burning.

It smelled like one of those cakes of deodorizer that they put in a urinal. But it seemed like it must be emanating from a room deodorizer that was up on a shelf. Why we've never noticed it before, I don't know. He reached and got it and held it to my nose. It definitely didn't smell great, but I think it was doing the job it was meant to do.

The smell could've been something out of the urinal as well. Who knows how well it gets flushed? Or even if every person who goes in there bothers to flush it.