Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Homelessness

I personally encountered two instances of homelessness today, situations where there is very little hope. I don't know what people are supposed to do in situations like that.

One person simply has nowhere to go and no real prospects. The other one at least has a pickup truck to stay in. Your heart breaks for situations like this, but what can you do? People get in these bad scrapes and so they suffer, to the extent that it is by some fault of their own.

To be homeless would be a disaster. I myself lived in a car for a month, but I was in college, waiting for an apartment to open up, etc., so I don't really consider myself as having been homeless. I had an apartment in another town, but couldn't be there at the time. I slept in a dorm one night, and in a dorm lobby one night. It was not very fun but manageable. The weird thing about that was my car quit working, so I couldn't move it. Then a tire went flat. Then I went to change the tire, but I guess because it set there so long the lugnuts got strange and broke off with the tire iron. Then at some point at the end of that month, the police towed the car and I don't believe I ever saw it again.

If I had to be homeless now it'd be a disaster. Married with pets.