Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Fourth Grade Girlfriend

I met someone today who had the same first name as a girl who I was "sweet on" in fourth grade. She moved shortly after that and I never heard of her again.

It made me think, what if that was her? Although of course it probably wouldn't be. I might say, I seem to remember you. We went to the same school for a while. But not say you were someone I liked at the time. Because it'd be a massive drag to hear the inevitable, What was your name again? These childhood romances are best left forgotten. I can't say I forgot, but it doesn't enter my mind very often. Every few years at best.

Well, now it's on my mind. So guess what? After all these years, I googled her name and it came up. She graduated from high school the same year as I, and actually in a town within 25 miles of our old school. I never knew where she moved to.

It wasn't meant to be, unless we meet in a nursing home someday.