Friday, March 20, 2009

Talking Trash To Ice

I took the dog out for a walk, like always, and noticed a vast difference between today and a couple weeks ago. Today is the first day of Spring, and back then it was winter.

In the fullness of winter, the snow was piled high and deep. It's a heavy mess, like 50 pounds per shovel. And you can barely get rid of it except at a high cost. A big truck will come and haul it somewhere but it's around $50 a load. Then there was all the ice on the sidewalks and on the driveway and road. And even on the south side it lingered forever.

The snow, pushed and shoveled to the side, leaves the ice stuck forever. It's definitely the boss and stays where it's at. You can't arrest it, reason with it, or whip it to any good effect. You chip at it and it just hardens its resolve.

Some of the ice I needed to get rid of was obstinant. I used sand and salt. Then when it warmed up slightly I thought I could spray water on it (the water being warmer than ice, stands to reason). But it must have had an underlayment of residual cold because up came the icy tentacles and claimed the water as its next victim.

Now, though, now I gotcha! It's been warm and now it's spring. So I'm doing my yearly trash talking to the snow -- not so tough now, eh? -- and ice ... You who were so persistent, you who could not be moved, where are you now? It might be bad luck though, because even though it's spring, it still could turn off cold and we still could get more ice and snow. Hope not.