Sunday, January 24, 2010

Backup And Restore

I've got a backup underway. It took off automatically at some point. I didn't notice it start. I noticed everything getting sluggish and after a while saw the little notification down there.

Since it's been going for quite a while I thought maybe it was stuck, and searching around I notice other people have had that problem.

But apparently it's not stuck. I went to the place on the computer (Windows 7) for Backup and Restore and it said it was 58% along. And it's moving ... slowly but surely.

I don't care for all this automatic backup stuff, but I hate to turn it off. There'd be the short term benefit of not having everything sluggish, but let's say I needed a backup, then it might come in helpful. I'm pessimistic about it though. One day I tried to restore the computer to a prior date, its configuration. It got most of the way, then told me it failed. Real helpful! So I believe that's probably what would happen on a backup too. But you never know.

I just hate the sluggishness. Things coming to a standstill every once in a while!