Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The Kelsey Company


I have a sentimental place in my heart for The Kelsey Company of Meriden, Connecticut. They used to sell printing presses and all the equipment. I got one of these in 1965 for Christmas, a 3" x 5" press.

I still have one of my business cards, advertising "All Types Of Fine Printing." That's right, all types of fine printing, as long as what you need printed fits inside a 3" x 5" chase. (A chase is the metal frame that you put the type in.)

I was just looking online and see there's a site that tells about the presses and how you can buy them on eBay, etc. I actually sold one on eBay one time, a press I bought at an antique store. I bought it with the intention of selling it, but when I got it I was tempted to keep it.

I was thinking of this because I was going through some stuff and found my "Printer's Guide," published by the Kelsey Company. It's 37 pages of guidance on how to set type, handle fonts, etc. It's a great little book.

I was scanning it then with my new scanner and it was just like printing with a printing press. I have a scanner interface that you can set on a timer. I had it set on 10 seconds. So I put it in, it scans a page, then I open it, turn the page, close the lid and it scans another one. It's a lot like standing at a printing press putting in sheets of paper.

(I may as well say that my family had other printing presses. Including some good sized ones. But the 3" x 5" was my own.)

If you look through old magazines, like Popular Mechanics, you'll likely see little ads for the Kelsey Company. They were around for a long time.