Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Salt On My Gloves

The other day I was trying to get rid of some ice. For this terrible task I was using the salt that comes in the big bag. There's a downside there.

One thing about this salt is, if you even get around it you're going to be tasting salt. I think I can taste it now, and it's been days since then.

I got it all over my gloves, and apparently it kicks up some micro dust in the air and attaches itself to your lips. Every once in a while you're tongue will hit your lips, and when it tastes that salt, you know you've gotten into something nasty. Especially since on the bag it says something about "phosphorus something or other" that you're not supposed to swallow.

But how much is too much? I immediately went and rinsed and wiped my lips. But still it lingers. I was just telling someone about it today...and as I started telling it (like now) I started tasting the stuff again. So that might be my imagination. Or it might be lingering, like a time release thing.

The big thing I've been wondering about is what kind of precautions they take with the guys who work with this stuff, like at the packing plant. It must be brutal. Now I know why the slaves in movies always look so down when they say "Back to the salt mines."