Monday, January 04, 2010

I Have A Scanner And A Scanner Interface

...and they're not entirely compatible.

The interface is pretty good, not made by the scanner company. But it has one (apparent) fatal flaw. It can't run the document feeder automatically. That is, it can't do it reliably, but once in a while the option appears and works.

I wrote to the company for the interface and he told me it was a problem with the scanner's software, and that I should check for a upgrade to the driver. Of course that's going to be tough to find in relation to this particular issue with this particular piece of software, the interface software. The chances of five other people having the exact issue to be addressed in the new driver update are low. So it won't be addressed.

I called the scanner company and the guy didn't know what to tell me, since he'd never heard of it. His guess was that there was something wrong with the interface software.

The short story is ... I'm never going to be able to use it for the purposes for which it was written. Which is sad. Because it made it so easy ... the three times it worked.