Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Firefox (Not Responding)

Every once in a while, I'll be typing along, doing this, or browsing, and suddenly everything stops. Then I look up and it says Firefox (Not Responding). The computer is doing something and can't be stopped. It's just off in its own world.

Then a few minutes later -- tops -- it comes back to life and we proceed as if nothing happened.

It happened a few minutes ago, which is why I'm thinking of it now. But this time I just sat there and so the time it took to come back was less. Like less than 30 seconds. Usually I'm doing a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and trying to get to the thing where I can try to stop processes (which never works when this happens). But this time maybe I did the better thing, which is to do nothing, because it came back quickly.

It occurs to me, though, how terrible that is. It shouldn't do that. You wouldn't want your car to do that going down the road. Just to quit working for a few minutes.

And with your computer, what if you were doing a presentation for a big board meeting. Then suddenly, for no apparent reason, it all freezes up. You're sitting there, sweating. Maybe swearing under your breath.

I wish stuff like this wouldn't happen. But it still feels like we're in the Wild West of the computer age. Like you really can't depend on anything. I know with my computer -- which is only a month old -- there's something challenging me every single day. It's disgusting, even though it's a pretty good computer.

They simply have a long way to go. There's still lots of bugs.