Monday, January 25, 2010

A Blizzard Day

Something about a snowy day, when the wind is whipping through at 50 mph, and there's white out conditions, makes me want to stay home.

They advise against going out, so that's a pretty good reason to stay in. They say to stay off the roads, because of the terrible danger. And they even close the highways leading out of town. So what they're trying to say is "Stay home."

There was an article in the paper where the sheriff was lamenting that people often ignore the official warnings. And next thing you know they're in a ditch somewhere, needing assistance.

My big fear about being in a ditch would be that the sheriff would be sitting in his office, heeding his own warnings, and wouldn't notice me in a ditch. So I'd freeze to death out there, where I shouldn't have been in the first place.

As it turned out tonight, I did have to go out. So I went and did what I needed to do -- official business for which I was commended for being faithful to do it in spite of the weather, when it would have been so easy to call and say I couldn't make it (sloughing off was the word they used). I was thinking, "Well, I do have a conscience, and I am conscientious." Just don't tell the sheriff!

Then I went to the store and picked up some foodstuffs. Because you never can tell. I don't want to starve to death at home. The sheriff doesn't make housecalls unless someone reports you for waving a gun.

Here I am now, in the house, listening to the blizzard assail my windows with its wind and awesome fury. It'd be a good night to have shutters on the house, assuming they wouldn't be frozen open.