Sunday, September 06, 2009

Labor Day Leaves

Labor Day isn't good news for summer lovers. It means "Last Chance." Do your last summer flings today because tomorrow is too late.

The great sleep for flowers and trees is at hand. I have the plant I bought at the greenhouse when summer was just coming on. Those were optimistic days. Stems were flexible. Blooms were bold. Grass was green. The plant became three times as big as it originally was. I repotted it midway through. It'll need to come in.

It'll be nice to see the leaves come down, since there's a great beauty in that. I love the crunch underfoot and the noise they make swirling against the house. Or fences. Or down the road. That's an interesting sight, to see leaves going straight down the road with the wind.

I always have the best of intentions for fall. And I do again this year. It's a great time to make resolutions of things you're going to do, mostly to enjoy it. Such as bundle up and go sit by a fence somewhere, a gnarly fence, let's say, one with an old wooden post.

I plan to pick up handfuls of leaves and examine them. Then let them go wherever they want.