Thursday, September 10, 2009

People I'll Know Someday

Sometimes I think about the people I'll know someday. Like what they're doing right now.

Now I'm old. But when I was young I used to think about the people I'd know someday. And now someday is here. I used to think someday I'll know or be working with people who aren't even born yet. And that has happened. I work with someone who wasn't even born when I was turning 30.

As for the people I'll still meet someday, depending on how long I live, of course, there are likely some that still aren't born. Maybe they're being spanked by a doctor and crying right this minute. Then someday, say I'm an 80 year old greeter at Walmart, he or she might be my young boss and fire me for not being friendly enough.

Or it could be they'll befriend me in a nursing home. We'll go walking by the lake. They'll write a book about our encounters, called "Tuesdays with D.B. Kundalini." Actually I've never met a young person yet who cares anything about encountering me or probing my memories. I've never met an older person either. Everyone's got their own concerns.

As for the people I'll meet someday who are already born ... some are younger than I, some are older. The older ones I can picture, sort of. I know their general look. There's probably a few who are very vital right now, but by the time I meet them they'll be decrepit. Then other people will be saying, "You should've known ____ 10 years ago. He was quite a guy." And I'll say, "I wish I would have."

OK, it's 10 years from then right now. And I can't know that guy. But at least I'm thinking of him.