Monday, September 28, 2009

Punch Drunk

Have you ever been punch drunk? I'm sure I haven't been.

We hear of people spiking the punch. Which would be to pour something from a flask into it on the sly. I guess I hang out with a better crowd usually.

Other punches. Punch your ticket. That's the way we did lunch tickets when I was a kid. Get it punched. Now they probably scan a card like a debit card. The puncher manufacturer must've taken that like a punch to the gut.

A punch to the gut is a punch that might be hard to take. How about a left punch? From out of nowhere. A haymaker.

Punch the clock. I used to punch the clock. I got a job at a place and they had a big wall of places to put your punch card. I had the very last, literally the last possible slot next to the door. There were hundreds. I was 1600.

It's been a while. So I forget. But after me, they either moved to another wall or they had to fire a few people with numbers ahead of mine.

Don't forget to punch out or you might be one of the ones fired.