Saturday, March 27, 2010

11 Or 12 Minutes Without A Basket

I watched the University of Northern Iowa last night get beat. This time I was actually for them, which might be a curse too big for any team to overcome.

At one point I was thinking, These guys really practice, and they back up and hit the three pointers. They go in and if they happen to miss once in a while, they still go in surprisingly often.

About the time I got done thinking that, which was at half time when I was doing the dishes, I went back for the second half and UNI literally did not score a field goal the last 11 or 12 minutes! Not from downtown, not from the arc, not from mid range, and not from under the basket. Not one single point. It was stunning!

If they hadn't been fouled and gone to the free throw line a few times, they would've had a big goose egg on the board that whole time. And even at the free throw line they basically stunk.

It really makes you wonder what it is that goes so wrong, how the percentage of a team can drop from 50-60 percent to zero. Part of it might be nerves, or wondering what's going wrong and then their confidence is sunk. I don't know. Because you'd think some would go in by accident at least. Especially ones right under the basket.

I was for them ... but they lost. I'm sorry about that!