Friday, March 12, 2010

A Bunch of Alfred Hitchcock Movies

I bought one of those video bin DVD sets at Walmart, a bunch of movies by Alfred Hitchcock, $5 for four DVDs.

Some of the reviews I looked at at Amazon say there could be technical difficulties in there somewhere, which I wouldn't doubt. A few years ago I got a John Wayne set that had technical difficulties, such as freezing up at certain points no matter what you did.

But so far so good on this one. But I've only watched one and most of another movie.

The one I watched last night was great, "The Lady Vanishes." I was definitely trying to think how it was going to resolve itself, the whole business on the train about Miss Froy vanishing. Maybe she wasn't even there, because the other woman was hit on the head by a planter. That was a mystery, which, if you haven't seen it, would be worth your time to find!

I like the various actors in the film, since they had some really weird spooky looking ones on the train, characters. The two Englishmen were pretty funny too, both at the hotel which the film starts and on the train. There's a lot of witty things throughout.

The other film I'm having a hard time staying awake for, even though it's not bad. It's silent, so I'm listening to music while having to pay extra close attention to the film. It makes me tired and I have to give up for a while. It's called "The Farmer's Wife." I'm not a big fan of silent films, because of all the work you have to do to watch one. Also they're very unnatural.

Anyway, a farmer's wife dies, then he marries off his daughter, then he feels like getting married himself. But who should he get married to? He's going through the list of possibilities, picturing them sitting in his wife's empty chair. He has a housekeeper who he's not even considering, but the box says she's "secretly in love" with him, so I would guess he eventually opens his eyes to the very fit woman already under his roof.

The film has a hired man who's fun to watch. He looks like a real character and plays the rustic part to the hilt.