Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Still Thinking About Candy

In 9th grade speech class one of my speeches was on "How To Eat Candy In School Without Getting Caught," including several great pointers on unwrapping candy under your leg, to muffle the sound.

Now that I'm an old man I'm still thinking about candy. Namely how to eat it without rushing it and thus needing more. I put it in my mouth with the best of intentions, that I will stretch it out and make it last. If I'd do that, that one little thing, I'd have candy tomorrow and the next day instead of just today.

But even though I have that intention, I put it in my mouth and start moving my mouth and next thing you know my swallowing instinct has made me consume it and so I need another piece. That's ridiculous. Why can't I do this?

I've tried smaller pieces, but the same movement and swallowing instinct seems to have a mind of its own.

Another thing to really enjoy candy to the utmost is to breathe a lot through your mouth. That's where the taste comes from. If you keep your mouth closed, you can barely taste it, or certainly not as well.

There went another piece. Also when I'm doing something like this, writing this, I have a hard time focusing on my best of intentions. But really that's my limit. I've had several already. And I want to save some for tomorrow, no matter what it takes.