Monday, March 22, 2010

Always Trying To Maintain My Viability

I can't say I envy people who don't try to maintain their viability.

Of course most people would like to cut loose once in a while, like if you were on a desert island with no chance of getting off. It would be fun to drink too much fermented pineapple juice, I suppose. And maybe go a little crazy out there and start walking around nude.

But of course I don't do any of that, because of the viability issue. Maybe you remember something way back from Bill Clinton's history. That he was worried about his military service record or lack thereof, and even as a teenager was trying to maintain his "political viability."

I think the same way. Always wanting to keep my reputation as clean as possible, which I think is a good idea just in general. But it makes a difference when you're filling out forms. Have you ever been convicted of a felony, child abuse, or been drunk and naked on a desert island? I'm always proud to be able to say "No."

That's one of the reasons I have a hard time understanding people who go to political rallies and end up on TV carrying big crazy signs, or are seen shouting obscene slogans, racial epithets, etc. You wouldn't catch me doing that. That's crazy. I've got my viability to worry about.

Same thing about going to some far off city and being caught like Tiger Woods. Really, I have to say, the guy was living dangerously. He had some $40 billion worth of endorsement contracts and one of the most recognizable faces in the world. How did he think he could get away with it forever? I'm sitting here, as unknown as anyone can be -- seriously, I'm not at all famous -- and you wouldn't catch me doing any of that. Even if I wanted to, which I don't.

Tiger had all those gals. But I've got my viability to keep me warm!