Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I've Gone Frugal

I've determined that it's necessary for me and my wife to get very frugal right now.

We're between jobs (almost), and that means a lot of expenses getting there, getting things arranged, then a period of time where we won't have any income. So we have to depend on what savings we have.

How it's all going to work out isn't 100% known to me. Since there are these unknowns, with the knowns being as described above, I've laid down the law that we must be frugal. Rather, we discussed it and that's the understanding.

So we had some cheap ham sandwiches and chips and baked beans for dinner, and the same thing (without the beans) for lunch. I had cheap ham sandwiches yesterday too, at least for one meal, maybe both. We're not going to be going out to eat, we're not doing downloads, and we're going to be spending only what's absolutely necessary.

It was kind of a killer today -- but necessary -- that the dog and cat had to have some updated shots, which was over $100. So that's terrible, but we'll be OK. I can absorb several days like that, I just don't want to have to.

The thing is to have discipline and get the transition over with as time passes and steps are made. Then when we have a higher level of daily security we can go back to our normal ways.