Thursday, March 04, 2010

Trying To Learn The Key Of F

This probably isn't very interesting.

But really, what is?

Isn't life just one boring detail after another made interesting by your attitude toward it? I believe so. I think I'll state that as a statement instead of a question. Life is just one boring detail after another made interesting by your attitude toward it.

I have my own things going on. In a way, I'm not that into these particular details, but I'm writing something tonight and this may as well be it.

I'm an old man who's been playing the guitar for 40 years. Or just a little over. But I'm one of the more unusual old time guitarists in that I haven't greatly improved in all that time.

Of course I've always known the F chord and can do it OK. But I haven't really played songs in the KEY of F, and I didn't even know what chords were the basics in it till the other day. Normally I've done F without the bass strings, but looking at the key of F, an online description of it, they bar across, etc. I can do that only fairly well.

It's the next two chords that I'm not great at, B flat and C7th. Although I know a version of C7 which is just the C chord plus one finger down on the 2nd string. The C7th chord on the website is different and sounds slightly different, with some barring on the 3rd fret and two other depressed strings on the 5th fret. That one comes tough to me, not being used to it. And B flat I've always done without the bass strings, but trying to bar across is tough on that one. Because your fingers are very bunched up.

It's not sounding good. Plus my old fingers are getting old and hurt a little more than they did 40 years ago.