Monday, January 12, 2009

Blizzard Conditions

There's blizzard conditions out tonight, especially in the country. I haven't been there but I experienced it last year, and today looks like that.

We had total whiteout conditions, going like about 5 mph on the highway and sometimes zero. There were wrecks, crazy winds, drifts, the works. It was one of the worst experiences of my life.

It just so happened we pulled into some little town and there was a little motel, like five or six rooms total. And we happened to get one. There wasn't even an attendant there. You call on a phone and she tells you to go into the room and in the morning leave your money on the desk. Small. But it was our salvation that night.

That was a very cold night, like way below zero. We had the dog with us and I kept taking it out so she wouldn't pee on the carpet. I assured the lady on the phone things would be OK. My tire looked like it was getting low. I was freaking out. Unnecessarily, as most freaking out is unnecessary, since the tire was going to do what it was going to do. But a mechanic said it was from the extremely cold temperatures, probably.

We made it out the next day, made it home. But I'm glad tonight that I'm already home. And not out on the road!