Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Trial

My days as a bail/bondsmen came to a head today with the trial. We sat waiting to see how things might transpire. It was interesting to a certain extent, but we were hoping it wouldn't be too interesting.

Some of the other cases made it look like justice at this level is the minimal fine in the absence of really extenuating circumstances. And that's the way it turned out.

I was enjoying certain aspects of it, but like always, wishing that things could move along a little faster. For instance, it's not something I've done before, to sit outside the courtroom and see the look of misery on people's faces for being there. That was interesting.

I saw one case resolved with a minimal sentence, simple assault, with a hundred dollars fine and continuation of the no-contact order. The two parties were in the hallway but never spoke. The woman looked sad about the whole thing. As she walked down the hallway after it was over, I summed it up, "Another love story ends."

As to getting my bond money back, I talked to the clerk and it will come to me as a check. But I might be using it to help pay the fine.