Thursday, January 08, 2009

No More Bananas

Here's a troubling story, that there's some danger to the banana, based on what? Disease or something. I read through part of the article but had to take off.

I hope we find some way of saving the banana, if indeed it is in danger. I know it shows up in the South Beach Diet book as something you shouldn't eat, but still, they're quick, they're delicious, and we like them.

I've got one setting right here by my desk. It's a Del Monte, raised in Guatemala. I just wish they would come up with a way for them not to turn brown so fast.

I saw another weird banana story the other day, I believe in American Profile magazine. It's a supplement that comes with the newspaper. It was about a lady who collects banana stickers. Which you wouldn't think there'd be that many different varieties of. But she has around 7,500 different ones! She takes them off, soaks off the glue somehow, then collects them in books. She even said she's been known to go to a store, buy bananas, take off the stickers, and give the bananas back to the store.

This Del Monte banana has a nice sticker, a #4011 sticker with a sort of UPC code (not exactly). I don't think I'll save it.