Friday, January 02, 2009

Computer Down

My doctor's computer's down, so they don't know if you have an appointment today or not. If I drop dead, they won't know till the computer's up and running.

What about old Doc Hill, in the old building downtown, upstairs, with his name printed on the window? And a horse and buggy tied outside. He was keeping track of his patients all the time, at least giving them a bullet to bite on while they suffered. Didn't have a computer.

There was a prophecy told me by your average Radio Shack employee once, probably 1982 (thereabouts), that one day we'll all need a computer. At the time I was thinking of what computers were generally to be used for, as foretold in magazines of the time, which was keeping track of recipes and ... I think that was it. I doubted the guy's word.

Now I don't know if I have a doctor's appointment or not. I did have a hard copy, the card they give you at the time. But I lost it, no backup.