Friday, January 16, 2009

The Natural Enquirer

I was watching some sharks on TV yesterday at Walmart. On high def TV, and the picture was pretty good. Sharks right in your face. And the intensity, concentration, and skill that the naturalists (swimmers) had was more boldly pronounced as well.

The whole thing of standing there reminded me of what my dad used to say about when TVs were first on sale. That people would stand by the store window watching. Well, I'm less of an enthralled viewer probably than they were back then, since we've all grown up with TV, but it does catch your attention when you see a picture so clear and up close. Engaging, yes, but I don't go to Walmart to watch TV per se.

They have lots of this stuff on TV, but I haven't got time to sit and watch TV anyway, whether I had high def or not. Plus, it's not just sharks that sometimes take an arm and a leg, but the cable TV companies as well. Every time I look at my bill it's gone up another dollar or so. Two years ago I know it was in the 85-dollar range, but the latest was over $100, and I haven't added any features or options. For me to get high def at this point, I'd have to waste a lot more time sitting by the TV to pay for it, and I know I wouldn't be any happier.

But this post is supposed to be about The Natural Enquirer, a scandal sheet for animals. Sharks, yes, they have plenty of scandal to talk about. I see one bit a kid's leg just the other day. Dogs walking by the house, not picking up their droppings. Just pooping on mother earth and letting it go.